Saturday, January 30, 2010

Everything Is Illuminated, by Jonathan Safran Foer

For our Book Club, we just read another of Foer's books. I loved it so much and held it so dearly that I knew this book was next. The first 50 pages, just as I was told by others, were very difficult for me to grasp. The book moves in between past and present, and another present somewhere else, and letters. I was worried it would never come together. And then, suddenly, somewhere around the middle of the novel, I was enchanted. The book is incredible. I think I finished it in one week on lunch hours. Pure greatness.

Every time I remember that Foer was only 25 when he wrote it, I'm pretty miffed about my own shortcomings at my "advanced age". I highly recommend it this book.

For a long time I've been hearing what a great adaptation the movie is, and I'm looking forward to watching it, hopefully tonight.

1 comment:

  1. PS. movie, not good. book, a billion times better, and i really mean it.

    ReplyDelete